Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Diaper Rash/Yeast Infection (baby and mommy)/open sores IKES!

So many people have been asking about what to do for a diaper rash that I decided to doc it.  This covers all kinds of diaper rashes... from the mild just pink all over type of rash look to the broken open, blistered, bleeding sores type of rash.

When our differently abled kiddo was going up to St. Louis Childrens to see a genetisist I also took him to a pediatrician up there.  At the time he had a really badly blistered/bleeding sores rash that I was having tremendous difficulty getting rid of.  When I spoke to the Dr. about it he said that Jacob had a bacterial infection - Candida - on his bottom and to use what we women would use for a yeast infection on it.  He could prescribe something, but it was really the same thing he said ~ so no sense.

Well, I didn't want to put that stuff on my baby so I got to searching and since I was just getting into using eo's I tried a couple of different combinations and settled on just eo of Lav.  The tea tree seemed to bother him when I applied it to the open sores, but when I used it after he was all healed he was fine with it.

Below is a list of methods that have proven effective for me.  I hope that it can be of help to other parents out there.

  • cloth baby wipes (aka big bunch of new white washcloths) with eo of lav oil and warm water... do you have a wipe warmer? You can keep your wipes in there - they are called "warmies" by the industry then. lol
  • Pat don't wipe or rub.
  • LOTS of fresh air and a bit of sunshine on the bottom.
  • If you are nursing... eat coconut oil as it kills the candida (bad bacteria that is typically the cause of yeast infections) ~baby will get it through your milk too.
  • If baby is old enough you can give him ev coconut oil directly to ingest (I've put it on my toddlers baked sweet potato with cin and butter added ~ he loves it!)... if bf put some on you and baby will get it there without problems... I do this routinely a few times a day ~ it also prevents thrush.
  • Once bottom is dry - lube it up with ev coconut oil or a combination of ev co and eo of Lav. I will often times put a pinned cloth diaper on very loosely without a cover for a couple of hours with a diaper changing pad underneath if baby is really young and taking a nap in the bassinet, crib, or my bed ~ checking it often. I let baby's bottom get air routinely to keep them from getting a yeasty rash. I'm all about pre-emtive strikes.   :D
  • A bath with colloidal oatmeal and eo of lav with a drop or two of tea tree isn't unheard of either.
  • You can also try lathering the baby's bottom up with yogurt or kefir.... maybe a little fresh out of the fridge aloe gel.
  • Make sure lo is getting plenty of probiotics.
The same treatments can be used for mommy if she is experiencing a yeast infection.  Don't forget to treat dad at the same time.  Yep, men can carry the yeast infection and give it back to us again and again if we aren't diligent.  I doubt very many men would mind an ev coconut oil massage.  LOL ;D


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For wipe wash~  
  • Melissa  ~We filled a small peri bottle or mason jar with warm water, a tsp of TTO, or lavender oil, and a tbs. Coconut oil and a sm. squirt of Dr. Bronners liquid casteel soap.

  • Emily s~ I used 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of CO, tea tree and lavender eo's. I went a bit heavy on the tto when she was having a flare up. You can add a squirt of soap, but I have stopped since I can't tell a difference. So, pretty much the same as Melissa!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Additional "Helps" ~

  • Sarah ~ I use Arbonne's ABC baby line which is a zinc based product, I also use Lavender oil .
  • Annalisa ~ I know its "unnatural" but i use Bag balm....have never had a diaper rash that didnt go away overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment