Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Gestational Diabetes, Diabetes ~ Hypo- and Hyper- Glycemia

This is just the beginning of the info on this topic...


When I was working through gd I would eat a couple of eggs for breakfast with shrooms, onions, cheese. Then a snack of fruit about 10/10:30. Salad with maybe some tuna or small helping of chicken, then fruit or yoghurt for mid day snack. For dinner another low carb salad, small helping of red meat or chicken (we don't do pork... it is really hard for the body to digest and tends to rot in the gut before it can be eliminated.) NO wheat/gluten... too many carbs. Sweet Potatoes instead of regular as often as possible... putting cinnamon on them and real butter. Instead of milk based yoghurts/kefir... use coconut kefir... coconut products rock! They have nearly no carbs in comparison to cows milk products. Hemp milk may be an option for you as well. The first time with gb I produced a 9 pound baby the second time I had a 8#4oz baby... previously the largest babe I had was 7#12oz (our first of five).
I am typically hypoglycemic so I still have a hard time believing that I was actually 'diabetic' so much as that i was having a reaction to sugars as usual. 
You will NOT test out as gd unless you are eating a 'regular' type of diet that is full of sugars etc... That is prob why you haven't tested as gd in the past. I had to literally go off my regular food plan for testing (I was told to) so that they could get an accurate reading. LOL I only did it for a couple of days, tested, then went back to my mainstay. Bob and I think it is all a farce. LOL
15 carbohydrates = 1carb point. A banana is 2 carb points so no bananas for me or only 1/2 a banana at a time.
2 pts for breakfast, 2 pts for am snack, 4 pts for luch, 2 pts for pm snack, 4 pts for dinner, 2 pts for after dinner snack.
Their plan actually had me eating far more food than I typically ate!
This website may help you 'plan' a vegan meal that can fit your lifestyle... I would highly suggest getting in a little fish and chicken whenever you can... they really helped me even out my glucose levels and kept my carb points in line thus baby weight gain. [http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/carb-counting/]

No comments:

Post a Comment