Saturday, November 23, 2013

baby constipation



13 month old with chronic constipation to the point she screams for days prior to going and while going and it takes days for her to "clean out". Besides stopping this wretched formula what can I give her. She won't take coconut water at all but I keep trying.

  •  Do you have enough milk with the new baby to try and pump some for her to? Really random thought but might work
  •  I'd say breastmilk too, if you have it... also probiotics? Prune puree, prune juice. Blackberries keep my kids moving, if you know what I mean. Poor babe. I bet the other ladies will have some amazing suggestions.
  •  I was just thinking that Rhi. I have never responded well to a pump  
    I have been using prunes but maybe she needs more. The probiotics haven't seemed to make a difference. I will try blueberries. She is just really starting to finally tale solids in so I can get rid of the formula. She wasn't much of an eater before at all. 
    I did give her rice milk today instead of formula but I am not crazy about that either. She wouldn't take hemp or coconut milk and almond milk is oit since we have a nut allergy in the family.
  • She is she will latch to you? Maybe she will? Can you make her a prune bottle?
  • I haven't tried the juice. Just prunes and she loves those. I was thinking about trying to get her to latch but she has the upper lip tie too (just discovered) and never could figure out how to nurse.
  •  I am sure she would juice though!
  •  Prune juice all the way!! And Jennifer  may have an oil u can rub on her tummy...! Not sure how old she has to be 
  •  Good thinking on the oil! Jennifer hook me up!?!?
  • Sheri Vaccinedangers has she been vaccinated?
  •  I have a friend that tandem breastfeeds her nearly 2yo and her newborn. Go for it! (if she is willing/can) 
    juicing... juice greens of all sorts, apples, pears, etc etc.
  • No vax
  • Cut all dairy
  • The only dairy she is on is the formula which I have been trying to cut for 3 months but she wouldn't take in enough food or forms of milk. Now that she is finally taking more food I can cut the formula.
  •  She has been crying all day bc she is trying to go and can't. When she does it is a teeny amount. It isn't hard but super thick and paste-like and dark olive green.
  •  Can you switch to goat's milk formula? Around here I see it available in most stores. If you are on WIC, you can also request that they cover the cost of that instead of regular formula.
  •  http://www.liddlekidz.com/massage-for-constipation.html


    Remember that it's very important to only ever massage the abdomen CLOCKWISE. Never ever go counter-clockwise. There have been many occasions where I have massaged my little girl when she was constipated or had a flu, it seems to work wonderfully. Make it a spiritual moment and make an efford to connect with your child and relay your intentions through your healing touches. 
    www.liddlekidz.com
    Infant massage, specifically for constipation, can be very effective for your baby.
  • I saw your post this morning Jen and could not respond immediately and have been thinking about you all day.
  • give me a call when you have a minute jack has constipation issues I can give you a little feedback and I could give me some oil
  •  Make your own "formula"?
    Warm bath water or warm compress on stomach?
    Massage abdomen?
    Water w/a very lil bit of baking soda in it to get things moving?
  • I do the massage, no wic but goats milk is out too bc of sensitivities. Making my own is out (the cost is astronomical)....
    @krystal do yo mean an enema? If so how much? If you mean bathing in we do that too already.

    What about epsom salt baths? I think I read on there somewhere epsom salt can be given orally for constipation but it didn't say how much or how often. 

    She is almost 13 months and weighs about 27-30lbs.
  •  not about the post... but I was keenly reminded at how far our Jacob has come. He was 1.5 years old and a total limp noodle. He weighed in at just 17 pounds. Just as he did at his year check up/previous apt with the ped neuro (who did NOTHING for him)
    today... he is about 1-2 years behind his weigh/height yet... but he is a survivor. 10 years old... and learning how to walk.
    Just reading that your daughter is about 27 pounds and younger than Jacob was at the point really struck me. I've been thinking a lot about those beginnings these last few days. So, it just slammed me in the face when I read her weight. Not that we don't see it every day in his two younger siblings and didn't know it all these years... it just struck me right now and I wanted to share.

    on that note... make your own whey!
    get raw milk and make your own whey... add to all her food... this will help with digestion. Naturally created/fermented whey is an amazing gut healer and probiotic choice. Book: Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon (she has a recipe in there for formula as well. You may find some helpful recipes as well as information on the sidebars of the book. I am so glad someone leant it to me when we started on this journey with Jacob. If it weren't for that book... I KNOW he would have died.
  •  You need to heal her gut with the GAPS diet. Google it. 
    It's a process, but all health starts in the gut. 
    Just an FYI: Vit C and Probiotics will both help her go. And don't say yogurt. There are like 2 probiotics in store bought yogurt. 
    Start feeding her fermented foods and bone broth and get her on GAPS right away!
  •  I have kefir grains Jen, if you want to make some, I have plenty to share.
  •  I am nursung Si right now but will try to call when he is done. He has been clustering though until about 10ish so if you don't hear from me that is why and call me tomorrow when you have a moment un your schedule!
  •  Willow Mountain Mushrooms hugs to you mama!!! Excited for you and with you that your Jacob has come so far and is learning to walk!!! That is amazing! Such an inspiration you are to me to keep up the fight, the searching for answers, and the natural road to health and wellness. It is not easy and is so overwhelming and sometimes I want to throw in the towel all together. If it weren't for this group and your wisdom especially I would be doing things so differently.
  •  And Willow Mountain Mushrooms as for Zipporah weighing 27lbs she is solid don't get me wrong but so much of that weight is being formula feed and it saddens me. Not to mention she probably has a good 3 lbs maybe more of backed up poop in her at any moment. Our Micaiah who is 26 months, 13 months older then his sisters weighs significantly less than his ff sisters. He was ebf until he was 5 months and only ate veggies. He didn't have any carbs until he was over a year. Wish I could say the same for the girls 
  •  Things happen Jen... we do what we need to do. Don't be sad about it. Your girls will be just fine. 
  •  Willow, I wish I could triple like your last comment.  Give yourself Credit Jen!!! 
  •  Probiotics, Vit C
  •  Probiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment