Saturday, November 23, 2013

sleep....




What would cause a child to not be able to go to sleep on their own at all?

  •  following. how old is the child?
  •  She is 3. The doctor prescribed something that lowers her blood pressure and makes her go to sleep. That is the only way this child sleeps.
  •  oh jeez. that's not where i thought you were going with the post. Um, is it anxiety? I have always had extreme night time/darkness anxiety...
  •  I am absolutely baffled. Has to be something that is not making her sleep. She cannot go to sleep. The doctor has ordered a behavioral study at this point. I don't feel like the behavior is causing the no sleep I think the no sleep is causing the behavior.
  • wow, that's crazy. did they try any alternative methods before the meds?
  •  Yes, she has tried many of my suggestions & more, she claims.
  •  Habit
  •  What?
  •  Doesn't go to sleep at all in the entire evening without the medication or doesn't like to go to sleep at night and stays awake for hours until exhaustion finally sets in?
  •  Does not sleep at all.
  •  That's not a habit issue then. That sounds physical to me and even though the ultimate goal would be to not use a pharmaceutical to get a 3 year old to sleep, the reality is that there is harm coming to that body without any sleep at that age too. I hope they are able to discover what isn't working properly in her body to cause this issue.
  •  Mental health disorders are one of the more common reasons for sleep related issues. It's possible that a clinical behavioral assessment will be able to uncover something to help pinpoint the reasons for the cause.
  •  I hope so, Kristy. Her mom even let me try my oils on her one night, along with magnesium oil. It did not phase her. I wanted to try hylands calms & Kali phos, but could not get the child to consume them.
  •  Did they try melatonin?
  • There is an herb shop by my house that sells an organic relaxing tea. A friend of mine has had great success with it on her son when she had to use something to help him sleep. I can get specifics about it if you think she would be interested.
  •  They tried Melatonin. Yes, Kristy, if you could get me the name, I'll look into it for her. We have 2 local health food stores.
  • passionflower and valerian tinctures
  •  I've got my new suggestion: Sensory processing disorder/sensory seeking. I've spoken with her & suggested she see an OT that specializes in SPD.
  •  She literally goes from room to room all day long, does not play appropriately with others, is rough & rowdy. She's not mean, this is not meanness & she is not ADHD. SPD fits her.
  •  I will call the shop tomorrow to verify the blend they sell. I checked my package but I purchased from the bulk herbs so it doesn't have the ingredients. know it contains valerian root, lemon balm and chamomile and I believe it might have passionflower too. I think everyone is more though. It has a great flavor so it is palatable for younger kids. Will let you know.
  •  *I think there is more in it though.
  • - Got the tea blend ingredients - Catnip, Chamomile, Lavender, Passionflower, Spearmint and Valerian Root.
  •  sleepy time tea! 
    This is the second time I have bought my tinctures. (I had never tried them before... but really needed help and they REALLY DO WORK!)
    This time I added Valerian to it. Skullcap and Passionflower have done the trick for my nerves. I think the valerian will just top it off. 
  •  Passing on to mom. Thanks ladies! In the meantime, I've split my water kefir & given mom enough to start making it. Her kids drink sodas. Her 8 yr old loved the kefir! Not sure how the 3 yr old will react! Lol!
  • Willow Mountain Mushrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment